Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Bake 52 Week 6: Challah Bread

I have something to admit.  This is the first time that I have ever made bread all my myself, EVER.  Yep.  I have always had a huge fear of making bread.  It just seemed so time consuming, which it was.  When I first looked at the recipe for Challah bread I felt completely overwhelmed.  I thought to myself "maybe I'll just skip this week".   But I didn't, and I'm glad.

I was really dubious the whole time I was making this bread.  The dough was really dense.  Maybe that is how all bread dough is.  I wouldn't know.  So I let it rise, but it was still so heavy.  Then came time to do these crazy braids.  They really were crazy.  The whole thing was looking so ugly, and I almost quit several times.  Surprisingly, The bread came out of the oven looking and tasting great!  I was shocked!!!

 It did get slightly over cooked.  I blame that on my husband.  I had to go somewhere, and I was left with no choice but to leave the cooking part up to him.  So considering the situation, it turned out just fine.

By the way, Challah bread is a jewish bread.  It's pronounced Halla.  The CH is silent.

Here is the link to the recipe: http://www.zollyzoo.com/inthekitchen/2012/02/08/bake-52-week-6-challah/.  Here are my pictures.


See what I mean?  UGLY!
And double ugly 

Not so bad!
I'll take it!

Today I made bread!  That feels good to say!  Maybe I'll do it again someday...just maybe.

xoxo

j



1 comment:

  1. Great job on the bread! It seems everyone had trouble getting a good rise in the time specified. I don't think the "heaviness" had anything to do with you!

    ReplyDelete