Wednesday, November 10, 2010

FHE Dinner


Once a month Levi and I host a Family Home Evening dinner for about 15 to 20 people at our small apartment.  Last month's FHE dinner was a bit of a disaster because I chose to make things that were too complicated.  This month I learned from my mistakes.  Although it still took me a full day of preparation, I chose easier things to make, and I made enough food!  I also used paper products, which saved me three days of dishes! 

I made two types of Chili's.  A regular Ground Beef Chili (I got the recipe from Allrecipes.com) and a White Chicken Chili (recipe posted below).  I also made corn muffins and green salad with homemade Poppy Seed Dressing.  For dessert, I made Scotcheroos and Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches.  




Everything went well.  We had a great turnout, and everyone liked the food!  If you would like any of these recipes, don't hesitate to ask!  Here's the recipe for the White Chicken Chili.  It comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Domestic Art Vol. II.  It's really good!


White Chicken Chili:

6 (15 1/2 oz.) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
3 (5 oz.) cans chicken, drained
6 c. chicken broth
3 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chilies 
12 oz. ctn. sour cream
1 T. olive oil 
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. white pepper
Optional: 2 onions, chopped

Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot.  Simmer for 20 minutes until heated through.  Serves about 15.


I also added my own touch by garnishing the chili with avocado's, cilantro, lime wedges, and crushed tortilla chips. 

xoxo

j

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good! I've been looking for a white chicken chili recipe so I'd love to get that from you. I made your salad with the orange vinaigrette when we had people over for dinner tonight and I loved it. THANKS! I'm impressed with all of your blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum!!!
    good job on the collage things. they look cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! I had no idea that you were so into cooking! Im stealing some of your recipes hope thats okay! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously cannot believe your cooking ablilites!! I need some serious lessons and I'm definitely not going to show Spencer this or he is going to be sad he married me! :-)

    ReplyDelete