Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The impossible cookies made possible!

I have a favorite cookie that I have never been able to successfully make.  The recipe comes from a dear friend, Maggie.  She is quite possibly the most loved woman in South Dakota.  While I was home for Thanksgiving, I had a special cooking lesson with her.  She did all the work while I carefully observed every step, and took detailed notes.  Thanks to her great lesson, I think I've finally got it down!  The cookie is a Cranberry Orange chew.  They are perfect for the holidays.  I plan to make them for my holiday gift baskets this year.  They really are to die for!

Butter, sugar, and orange peel creamed together.
This is how the dough should look after mixing, before you add the Craisins. 
Here is the fabulous cookie maker, Maggie!
Unbaked


Baked

Cranberry Orange Chews

Ingredients:  

Grated orange peel from one orange
3 cubes of butter
2 cups of sugar
2 tsp of vanilla
1/4 tsp of salt
1 tsp of baking powder
3 1/4 cups of flour
1 1/2 cups of dried cranberries or craisins (Maggie likes to use the orange flavored ones)
1 1/2 cups of flaked coconut

Directions:

Finely grate one orange.  Maggie says to get the orangest orange that you can find.  Next, cream together butter and sugar in a standing mixer.  Beat for about 2 minutes, but not too fast!  Add the orange peel and vanilla.  Next mix in salt and baking powder.  Then add the flour.  Mix very slowly for about 5 minutes, until it looks like pie crust.  Add the dried cranberries and coconut while slowly mixing.

Place the rack on the upper middle setting, and preheat the oven to 350.  Pack the cookie dough into a 1 1/2 inch cookie scoop.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.  Makes 47 cookies.  Eat when almost cooled, if you can resist!

Maggie gave me a very important tip to making these cookies perfect...it's don't rush the process!  She says to take your time, and have fun.  

xoxo 

j

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Jesse and Sister Austin. I love you both! Almost as much as I love these cookies, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I was just looking at your bucket list and although I don't have any wonderful recipes for you- my mom makes the most delicious cheese cakes in the world. She makes about every kind you can think of so you'll have to let me know if you want one of her recipes (and you'll have to tell me if you just want the plain one or a specialty one.) It makes me hungry just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete